Tuesday, May 5, 2009

You may remember when you were younger people would always ask "So, what do you want to be when you grow up?" Well, I figured after I "grew up" the question would stop. But really, the question just changed into "What are your plans after you graduate?" This is really discouraging. I don't want to jump into a career I am going to be unhappy with merely because I am expected to get a job. I don't want to be stuck at a dead-end job in a state that I'm constantly wanting to leave. That sounds like a miserable path to me.

For the sake of courtesy, I usually just avoid a specific answer by saying "Well, I don't actually graduate until the summer. I still have two more classes to take."

Plus, I had a friend tell me once that his friend (an econ major) said people who start their careers in a recession end up making 15% less over the span of their lifetime. Therefore, the smartest thing for me to do is wait until the economy starts peaking again. Right?

This same friend is also interested in the Peace Corps and he plans to do that and then attend graduate school. So who knows what I will end up doing. Wherever the wind may take me is kind of my philosophy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment